Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dear Kids,
          Yesterday Dad flew in the B25 that’s on tour at the Heber airport. John paid for it, as a birthday and Fathers Day present. It’s mild to say that Dad was both excited and terrified for the flight. When I saw that old rattletrap on the runway, I was terrified myself. When it revved up, it sounded like 100 lawn mowers, and it belched out clouds of toxic airplane exhaust. I had to run to a field about 100 yards away to get away from the smoke, and it still got into my lungs. Dad said it was surprisingly smooth taking off and flying, but so loud they had to wear earmuffs to muffle the noise. The passengers (probably 8 people) got to take turns going up into the cockpit during the flight. They were only up about 20 minutes, which seemed plenty long enough. When the plane touched down, we were all immensely relieved. John and his family were there, and Jacob kept begging for a ride, but John said it cost too much. Jacob said the B25 is his favorite bomber. He’s been flying it on a video game.
          A couple of weeks ago I forwarded Bonnie’s e-mail to you about the Allen family reunion on June 28 (Saturday). If you didn’t get the information, we’re meeting at the same park as always (Riverwoods), you bring your own lunch, and there will be lots of fun and activities. All of us Ackersons are supposed to wear blue, but it doesn’t have to be a solid color. Our pavilion is reserved from 9 am on, but Bonnie guessed the reunion wouldn’t really get going until about 10. 
          And besides that, Paige’s baptism is coming up! It will be Saturday, July 12, at 2:20 pm, at Nora and James’s church (2050 North Main) in Centerville. (Same place as McKay’s blessing.) There will be an after-party at Nora’s house, of course.
          Since Dad and I finished building our window wells, our landscaping has come to a halt. I’ve had a terrible time finding somebody to come and level our yard. There are big dirt hills and bumps and dips, and we can’t possibly make it look good until it’s level. But all the excavating companies are busy right now, and they don’t return calls. I finally found a guy who was going to do it yesterday, but he called the night before with a song and dance about his truck breaking down. I think that just meant he hadn’t finished the project he was doing somewhere else on Friday. He said he might get to it this coming Thursday or Friday. It’s very frustrating, after working so hard, to come to a standstill.
          But life is good. The air is clean here. Our cats are well and obnixous. How can I complain?
          Love, Mom