Sunday, August 26, 2018

Dear Kids,
         I’ve been over to the cabin a few times since Al moved out, sorting and rearranging things.  The front closet is stuffed with jackets and coats, so obviously some of them will have to go to the DI, to make room for real visitors’ coats.  Each of you ought to look through them, if you get the chance, and see if any of your long-lost favorites are there.  There are lots of stray single socks, from under the beds and inside the bedding.   Should I just throw them away, or should I start a lost and found bucket?  So many decisions!  Al did an amazing job of keeping things tidy while he was there, but he didn’t throw any of your stuff away.  I don’t want to either.  Oh, by the way, there’s an Epson projector in a black bag sitting by the high chairs. Anybody? Anybody? 
         Dad and I visited Al at his new place in Centerville. It’s surprisingly roomy!  There are three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a comfortable living space.  His rent is very reasonable, too, for the area.  He seems to be settling in very well.  Best of all, he’s close to work.  No more hour-long commutes at all hours of the night.  I’m very glad about that.
         I had fun helping Abi, Ali, and Anna do new streaks in their hair last Sunday night.  (I have tubes of red and blue now, besides pink and purple.)  When they first asked me, I said I was very tired, and it was my bedtime.  (It was.)  They said it wasn’t their bedtime, and they weren’t tired at all.  So we did it.  I combed in the color and rolled up the strips, and pinned them with clips.  But I haven’t seen how any of the colors turned out yet.  I’ll be interested to see how well the color took.  There’s a big difference in girls’ hair–some of it sucks up color, and some resists it totally.
         Yesterday afternoon Dad and I drove 10 miles up the Mirror Lake Highway to the Shingle Creek trail, and we started up it.  But it’s way too long to do in a short afternoon, especially if you’re already tired from working in the yard.  We’re planning to go back when we have a whole day, and take a lunch.  It’s 12.5 miles round trip.  Now that I feel good, there’s no stopping the adventure!  Dad’s cool with it.
         Speaking of Dad, he’s having a routine colonoscopy on Wednesday.  That’s because it’s been 10 years since he had one before, not because he has any danger signs.  I’m totally confident he won’t have the awful experience I had after mine.  And I’m not even done yet.   My colon doctor still wants to see me every three months, and my oncologist, too.  So much fun!  Besides that, we both have to see our dermatologist again, and Dr. Condie (our kind dentist), and I have to see a podiatrist because one of my toenails is full of fungus.  Oh, yeah, and I’m having cataract surgery on September 5th. No stoppin’ the fun.
         Love, Mom